The revised Form I-9 and instructions on how to use it can be found on the USCIS website.
Some notable changes:
- It asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used”
- The certification process for certain foreign nationals has been streamlined
- It has dedicated areas for adding additional information, rather than having to add it in the margins
- Prompts have been added to help ensure information is entered correctly, and
- Multiple preparers and translators can now be entered.
USCIS is also saying that the revised Form I-9 is easier to complete using a computer, thanks to:
- Drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates,
- On-screen instructions for each field
- Easy-to-access full instructions, and
- An option to clear the form and start over.
To ensure I-9/E-Verify compliance, contact CARCO today 1-866-557-5984 or click here to be contacted by a CARCO Specialist.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification Employee Information Sheet (M-1116) which employers must provide new hires prior to completion of the Form I-9. Federal law requires that employers complete a Form I-9 to document identity and work authorization for all new hires after November 6, 1986.
The good news is that the Information Sheet is a concise overview of the Form I-9 purpose and process. The bad news is that it adds yet more “instructions” to an otherwise seemingly simple two-page Form I-9. The complete I-9 package includes six pages of instructions, the two-page Form I-9 and the Lists of Acceptable Documents page for a total of nine pages. The instructions and Lists of Acceptable Documents must be available to all employees completing the Form I-9.
The Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification Employee Information Sheet provides an easy to read overview of who keeps the Form I-9, why it must be completed, what section the employee must complete, whether someone else may complete Section 1 for them, and the document(s) they must provide.
For the full article click here.