By Doreen Koronios
On January 1, 2010, new state and local E-Verify requirements went into effect in several states. How does your HR department keep up with the ever changing requirements? Fines for non-compliance are hefty. Recently, a Cincinnati based Food company paid a $536,046 fine as a result of a worksite enforcement investigation conducted by ICE. The investigation resulted in a raid of the facility and the arrest of 161 undocumented workers.
To assist businesses in understanding E-Verify, CARCO recently hosted an informational webinar with its new partner, myStaffingPro.The webinar was well attended with 64 participants who were very engaged and had many questions regarding E-Verify compliance. During the Webinar, CARCO’s Alan Gordon explained E-Verify and its implications for U.S. businesses, which included:
- Explanation of E-Verify
- Definition of who is impacted by E-Verify
- Steps on how to automate your process
- Tips on how to avoid penalties and fines
Get your E-Verify Facts straight. While it seems that using the E-Verify database is an easy process, there are many specific challenges that make it difficult to be complaint. Here are a few of those challenges that you might not be aware of:
- Query must be initiated by third business day of actual start date
- Tentative Non-Confirmation (“yellow light”) process is long and difficult to manage
- False positives
- No adverse action can be taken while employee is contesting tentative non-confirmation
- Employees must be terminated if not authorized
What are the benefits of using CARCO’s automated E-Verify process?
- Leverages Onboarding technology
- Codifies the arduous tentative non-confirmation process in electronic workflow, eliminating your administrative burden
- Data flows through from previous steps in the process, eliminating duplicate data-entry
- Real-time submission to DHS upon employer e-signing I-9
- Tightly coupled with the electronic I-9
- E-mail notifications for both I-9 and E-Verify system turns our solution into an “Active” system (as opposed to a passive one)
- Escalation notices via e-mail if due dates approach and/or elapse
CARCO’s I-9/E-Verify specialists are standing by to help you with your process. For more information, call 1-866-557-5984 or email us at email@example.com.